Definition of slugger
- Top Definitions
- Related Content
This indicates the grade level of the word based on its difficulty. This indicates the grade level of the word based on its difficulty. nouna somebody who strikes with force, especially a boxer who is well-known for his or her ability to deliver powerful punches Baseball. a player who gets extra-base hits on a regular basis; a powerful hitter. EVALUATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF AFFECT AND EFFECT VERSUS AFFECT! In effect, this exam will determine whether or not you possess the necessary abilities to distinguish between the terms “affect” and “effect.” Despite the wet weather, I was in high spirits on the day of my graduation celebrations.
An American expression that dates back to 1875–1880;slug 2+-er 1
Slug, slugabed, slugfest, sluggard, sluggardly, slugger, slugging average, sluggish, sluice, sluicegate, sluicewayDictionary.com Slug, slugabed, slugfest, sluggard, sluggardly, slugger, slugging average, sluggish, sluice, s Unabridged Random House, Inc. 2022, based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Random House, Inc.
Words related toslugger
How to usesluggerin a sentence
- One factor that made DiMaggio’s hitting streak easier was the fact that, unlike today’s sluggers, he rarely struck out. Following a string of mistakes over the last two seasons, Wednesday’s event reignited speculation that the youthful slugger may be better suited to the job of designated hitter. Nationals fans had the opportunity to see newcomers Josh Bell and Kyle Schwarber, as well as witness Jon Lester pitch two strong innings in his first start of the season. She hits his automobile with a golf club, which is the country club version of a Louisvilleslugger.
- The Yankees slugger was referring to his ex-wife, Marilyn Monroe, in this context. This October, Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz clobbered the ball. “It was named after Reggie Jackson,” says the narrator, referring to the legendary Yankees slugger from the 1970s. It’s possible that he’d played a round or two with some second-rate slugger at some point in his life
- “Kennedy’s ball,” screamed Slugger Jones, the umpire, with a piercing tone. But even in such conditions, he began by acting as though he intended to pass this hazardous slugger
- In the company of the leader, a person referred to as “slugger,” I arrived to the alley at around eleven o’clock. Leete, their slugger in chief, was completely perplexed by Joe’s pitches and walked off the field amid jeers from the Giants’ supporters.
British Dictionary definitions forslugger
Noun (especially in boxing, baseball, and other sports) a person who hits with great force. 2012 Digital Edition of the Collins English Dictionary – Complete Unabridged Edition (William Collins SonsCo. Ltd. 1979, 1986) In 1998, HarperCollinsPublishers published the following books: 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, and 2012.
What does slugger mean?
- Batter, hitter, slugger, batsman noun(baseball) a ballplayer who is taking the field to bat
- Hitter Nouna fighter who is known for his ability to deliver powerful blows
- Slugger, slogger
Wiktionary(0.00 / 0 votes)Rate this definition:
- Slugger nouna boxer who is known for throwing powerful punches
- Slugger nouna hitter who has a high proportion of extra base hitsThat will bring up the slugger, Jones
- Slugger nouna boxer who is known for throwing hard punches
Webster Dictionary(0.00 / 0 votes)Rate this definition:
- Slugger is a term that refers to someone who delivers hard blows. as a result, a boxer or a prize fighter
Freebase(0.00 / 0 votes)Rate this definition:
- Ulf Lundell’s musical CD SluggerSlugger is a collection of songs written by him.
Rap Dictionary(0.00 / 0 votes)Rate this definition:
- Slugger is a term that refers to someone who slugs. A baseball bat is used for this. “Hello there, Claude. It’s been a year since I told you about my cousin who I killed with my Louisville slugger when I was 15 years old. Well, the year after that, I killed this kid, Louie bashed his head in with my Louisville slugger hahaha I got away with it hahaha but erm I want to apologize to Louie I’m sorry Louie hahaha” – Eazy-E is a rapper from the United States of America. ((Introduction to Louisville Slugger)) Louisville Slugger was the brand name of a highly popular wooden baseball bat that was manufactured by Louisville Slugger. It was created in Louisville, Kentucky
- A “slugger” is a person who smashes the ball extremely far
- It was created in Louisville, Kentucky
How to pronounce slugger?
- Chaldean Numerology is a system of numbers that was developed by the Chaldeans. The numerical value of slugger in Chaldean Numerology is 7
- The numerical value of slugger in Pythagorean Numerology is According to Pythagorean Numerology, the numerical value of slugger is:8.
Examples of slugger in a Sentence
- Marty Maciaszek (Marty Maciaszek): Considering the legendary nature of the LouisvilleSluggerbrand and how deeply ingrained it has become in the sports goods market over the course of over 140 years, we were taken aback to some extent. Blue Jays President Mark Shapiro says the following: The Blue Jays will begin the season on the road at Tampa Bay against the Rays. In order to accommodate infrastructure modifications at Sahlen Field in order to help it meet Major League Baseball standards and COVID-19 safety requirements, the Pirates’ first scheduled home series, against the Washington Nationals on July 29 and 30, will now be played on the road as well as at home. Buffalo will host its debut game on either July 31 against the Philadelphia Phillies or August 11 against the Miami Marlins, depending on when the Blue Jays arrive. The team had explored holding home games at its training facility in Dunedin, Florida, but the state is one of the virus hot zones, so that was out of the question as well. Health experts in Canada and Pennsylvania were concerned about the players’ frequent travel around the United States, which was one of the countries most impacted by the pandemic at the time. General manager Ross Atkins has previously stated that his club had more than five contingency plans in the event of a home stadium being destroyed. I’m overjoyed that we’ve finally found a place to play. Charlie Montoyo, the manager of the Toronto Blue Jays, stated that they were finished with it. Slugger Because it has a wider field than the Rogers Centre in Toronto, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. believes that the Buffalo stadium will favor pitchers in the long run. According to Guerrero, who spoke via an interpreter, “it will be different because of the way things are in Toronto compared to Buffalo.” In any case, there are no admirers. We’re simply going to go play baseball for a little while. In their meetings with the Blue Jays’ management staff, the players expressed their desire to play in a major league stadium. Buffalo, according to outfielder Randal Grichuk, is the worst-case scenario. Our team’s resiliency has undoubtedly been tested over this process, but our players and staff refuse to accept blame.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
- Choose a language: Deutsch (German)
- Espaol (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- Deutsch (Spanish)
- Deutsch (German)
- Espanol (Spanish)
Word of the Day
(slg′r)n.1.A person who slugs, such as a fighter who slugs his opponent with forceful swinging fists. 2.BaseballA hitter who has a high percentage of extra-base hits. The Fifth Edition of the American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language is now available. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company has copyright protection for the year 2016. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company is the publisher of this book. All intellectual property rights are retained.
(sl)n(Individual Sports, other than those stated) (especially in boxing, baseball, and other contact sports) a person who strikes with force. Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 – HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014 – Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 – Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 – Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 – Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition
boxer (slg r)n.1.a boxer who is known for throwing heavy punches. 2. (in baseball) a particularly effective batter.
Kernerman Webster’s College Dictionary, Random House Kernerman Webster’s College Dictionary, 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Random House, Inc. has copyright protection for the years 2005, 1997, and 1991. All intellectual property rights are retained. ThesaurusAntonymsConsequential Words SynonymsLegend:
|Noun||1.||slugger- (baseball) a ballplayer who is battingbaseball,baseball game- a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs; “he played baseball in high school”; “there was a baseball game on every empty lot”; “there was a desire for National League ball in the area”; “play ball!”bunter- a batter who buntsdesignated hitter- a ballplayer who is designated to bat in place of the pitcherpinch hitter- (baseball) a substitute for the regular batterswitch-hitter- a baseball player who can bat either right or left handedwhiffer- a batter who strikes out by swinging at and missing the third strike|
|2.||slugger- a boxer noted for an ability to deliver hard punchesboxer,pugilist- someone who fights with his fists for sport|
Based on the WordNet 3.0 collection and the Farlex clipart collection. 2003-2012 Princeton University and Farlex Inc. Translations
Schläger (in)m(f) (inf); SchmetterermCollins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. William Collins Sons Co. Ltd. was established in 1980. The HarperCollins Publishers (Harper & Row, 1991-1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, and 2007)
Ranking 10 most dangerous MLB sluggers in 2018
Whenever a major league pitcher walks into the box, all eyes are on him to see what he will do with the pitch. There are many of outstanding hitters in Major League Baseball, but only a select number of them get us to stop what we’re doing and pay attention. These are players that are above and above the game, having the capacity to hit a monster home run at any time. These hitters are dangerous not just because they can smash home runs, but also because they can routinely get on base and pile up extra-base hits, which makes them much more dangerous.
- Bryce Harper, outfielder for the Washington Nationals, is tenth.
- When he is on his game, he is one of the greatest in baseball, but he also has periods of exasperating inconsistency throughout the season.
- He showed lots of strength and was able to draw walks, but there wasn’t much more to go along with it.
- Since the ASB, the 25-year-old has a.339/.415/.610 slash line to go along with a 1.025 on-base percentage.
- Javier Baez, second baseman for the Chicago Cubs, is number nine.
- The 25-year-old infielder has further demonstrated his ability to make consistent contact, which has resulted in a significant increase in productivity.
- His batting average increased by more than 20 points from 2017, while his slugging percentage increased by about 100 points from the previous year, making him the best player in baseball.
We saw it in his monstrous home run, which went 481 feet and was only the most spectacular of several such blasts by Baez this season.
While Arenado will be criticized since he plays half of his games at Coors Field, he will continue to be one of the most feared sluggers in the league despite this.
According to the National League, Arenado is now in fifth place with a.309 batting average, fourth place with 89 RBI, second place with 31 home runs, and first place with an OPS of.9968.
While he will almost certainly fall short of his season totals of 40 or more home runs and 130 or more RBI, Arenado remains one of the top hitters in the Major Leagues.
Davis has been the engine that has propelled Oakland to the top of the rankings in a season that no one anticipated.
Davis has slashed.303/.360/.697 throughout the course of the month of July, hitting 19 home runs.
Davis is not only a fantastic hitter in general, but he is also one of the most clutch players in the game.
Davis should be regarded as one of the finest sluggers in the league, despite the fact that he is unlikely to earn significant MVP consideration.
In an age in which every home run is logged by Major League Baseball’s StatCast system, Judge is the undisputed king of the StatCast era.
This season, the 26-year-old has posted impressive numbers, including a.946 OPS, a.398 OBP, and 46 extra-base hits.
Once his wrist is fully healed and Judge’s strength has returned, he will resume his practice of launching rockets into the second deck of the arena.
In his first 54 games of the season, Arizona’s top first baseman batted.209 with a.719 on-base percentage and an.719 on-base percentage.
As of June 1, Goldschmidt’s slash line is.355/450/660, and his on-base percentage is 1.110, returning him to his previous level of excellence.
Once again able to crush baseballs, Goldschmidt can confidently defend his position at first base, where he ranks as the finest first baseman in baseball.
Cleveland Indians third baseman Jose Ramirez is the fourth player on the list.
What began as a modest baseball career rapidly developed into Ramirez being regarded as one of the top five players in the game.
In 2017, he had an All-Star season with a.957 OPS, 29 home runs, and 83 RBIs, and he was named to the National League All-Star team.
The number of home runs (37), RBI (91), walks (85), stolen bases (28) and on-base percentage (OPS) he has hit in 126 games is a career best (1.024).
Boston Red Sox designated hitter J.D.
Finally, Boston made the decision to sign Martinez, and the move has been rewarded in ways that were beyond their wildest expectations.
In the majors, he ranks second in batting average (.335), second in on-base percentage (1.060), second in home runs (38), and first in RBI (110).
Perhaps, when he becomes available again in free agency, clubs will be smarter and make a full-court press to sign him.
Betts might be right up there with Martinez in terms of output if it weren’t for a trip to the disabled list and a couple of absences from the lineup this season.
Betts is even more impressive at the plate when the team is in a position to score runs.
In spite of the fact that voters tend to favor players who mostly participate on the field, there is still time for Betts to win the MVP title.
Both players are worthy of the MVP award, but we’ll give Betts the tiny advantage since he’s a better all-around hitter.
Mike Trout, outfielder for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Mike Trout is the best player in baseball, and there is no one better than him.
He plays in a less hitter-friendly stadium than Betts and Ramirez, yet he outperforms both of them in a number of significant statistical categories, including home runs.
He is so feared with the bat that opponents have purposely walked him 20 times, which is even more astounding.
Despite the fact that Los Angeles is no longer in postseason contention, Trout will still bring a large number of fans to the city in the closing weeks.
Louisville Slugger – Amer Sports
In Major League Baseball (MLB), Louisville Slugger is the Official Bat of the league and the number one bat in the league. For almost a century, Louisville Slugger bats have been a part of every postseason run, every World Series championship, and some of the most iconic moments in baseball history. Since then, Louisville Slugger has sold more than 100,000,000 bats, making it without a doubt the most successful bat brand in the history of the sport. Now more than ever, Louisville Slugger continues to be a market leader in both the wood and aluminum/composite bat categories, delivering cutting-edge technology in Baseball as well as Fastpitch and Slowpitch that gives players the confidence they need when they go up to the plate.
In addition to its on-field offerings, Louisville Slugger also provides personalized, miniature, commemorative, and collector bats, as well as other accessories.
The famous wood bats of the brand are still being manufactured in downtown Louisville, Kentucky, where it all started.
Taking Players to a Higher Level of Competence Success is extremely tough to accomplish if one does not have a strong work ethic. Our idea is to encourage athletes to take responsibility for their actions and to earn their success both on and off the field. We will encourage each participant to increase the frequency with which they practice. We will mentor each player to help them develop a better understanding of the foundations of the game as well as the proper mental approach to the game.
- Players that have a consistently high work ethic, a laser-like concentration on preparation, and a genuine desire to learn the fundamentals of baseball will have the best chance of achieving success in the sport.
- We are well aware that not every athlete will be able to make it to the main leagues.
- I’ve found that the principles I’ve acquired during my baseball career have been beneficial in every facet of my life.
- When I teach, I make it a point to instill these values in all of my players.” Brad Woodall is the author of this piece.
Silver Sluggers Travel Teams presently has openings in a few of its 2021 teams that are now recruiting. Interested parties should contact Brad Woodall ([email protected]) for more information.
The original historical photograph seen above was taken in 1892. See the guy standing in the doorway with a baseball bat in his hand? Bud Hillerich is the man in the picture. In the manner of a normal adolescent, he skipped out on his father’s woodworking shop one day since he had something else he would have wanted to do. That was the beginning of the Louisville Slugger baseball bat, and this is the narrative of how it came to be.
German Woodworking Roots
J. Frederick Hillerich and his family left Germany for the United States in 1842, settling in Baltimore, Maryland. In 1856, they relocated to Louisville, where J. Fred opened a woodworking shop for themselves. J.F. Hillerich, Job Turning” was established in 1864 and was able to fulfill requests for anything from spindles to shutters to interiors for steamboat ships. John Andrew “Bud” Hillerich, the eldest son, was born in Louisville, Kentucky, in the year 1866. The business prospered, and by 1875, the little woodworking shop employed around 20 individuals.
- Bud was also involved in amateur baseball, and he created his own baseball bats, as well as bats for several of his colleagues, to use.
- According to corporate tradition, the first professional bat was designed by Bud for Pete Browning in 1884 when he was 17 years old.
- Bud snuck out of work one spring day to attend a performance of the Eclipse.
- According to the legend, Browning was able to get three hits with the bat Bud had made in the following game.
- Bud was enthusiastic about the prospect of incorporating baseball bats into the family company, but his father was adamantly opposed to the idea.
- Bud Hillerich, on the other hand, continued to strive for and enhance the bat-making industry, and even devised some patented techniques in the process.
- In 1894, the term “Louisville Slugger” was registered as a trademark, and Bud joined his father as a partner in the company the following year.
Enter The Flying Dutchman
During the 1905 season, Honus “The Flying Dutchman” Wagner, a famous shortstop for the Pittsburgh Pirates, signed a deal with the developing bat firm, making him the first player to endorse a baseball bat in history.
His autograph was also the first to be put on a baseball bat, and it was the first time a professional athlete was involved in the promotion of a sporting goods product.
Serious Sales and Marketing
When Frank Bradsby joined J.F. Hillerich and Son in 1911, he had already established himself as a successful salesperson for one of the Hillerich’s major buyers. The Hillerichs had the ability to create excellent bats, but they lacked professional sales and marketing knowledge as well as motivation. That is exactly what Bradsby brought to the company. In 1916, he joined the firm as a full partner, and the name of the corporation was changed for the final time to HillerichBradsby Company. In 1937, a catastrophic flood along the Ohio River caused substantial damage to the company’s operations.
Even though Bradsby died without leaving any descendants, the Hillerich family has maintained his name on the corporation as a monument to his great contributions to the company’s success.
Following World War I service creating equipment for the army, HillerichBradsby Co. served the country during World War II by manufacturing M-1 carbine gunstocks, track pins for tanks, and billy clubs for the armed services, among other things. The bats for baseball and softball were still being made by H B for the soldiers. Women were employed at the plant for the first time during H B’s World War II effort, as was the case in many other businesses. Following World War II, baseball continued to be the nation’s most popular sport, with Louisville Slugger bats dominating the market as the bat of choice for the game’s best players.
These luminaries include Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, George Brett, Ken Griffey Jr., and Derek Jeter, among others.
Louisville has always been the location of the business headquarters.
In 1996, HillerichBradsby Co. relocated to a new headquarters at 800 West Main Street, which was approximately seven blocks away from the carpentry shop depicted at the beginning of this historical account. The Louisville Slugger MuseumFactory is one of the most popular tourist sites in the region. The world-famous facility is easy to spot; simply keep an eye out for The Big Bat, the world’s biggest baseball bat, which greets visitors as they go through the door. More than 4 million visitors have taken advantage of the museum and factory tour experiences offered at this location to far.
Earlier this year, Wilson Sporting Goods announced that it had acquired the Louisville Slugger brand from H B, which retains ownership of the Louisville Slugger MuseumFactory and the manufacturing plant.
H B continues to manufacture Louisville Slugger bats in Louisville, Kentucky, where the Hillerich family initially settled in 1856 and where they currently exclusively manufacture for Wilson.
Amazon.com : Baseball Bats
4.7 stars out of 5 for this product 290 $299.95$349.95 Ships to the Netherlands are available. More Purchasing Options $259.98 (8 fresh offers have been made)
Louisville Slugger Genuine Series 3X Ash Mixed Baseball Bat
4.6 stars out of 5 for this product Ships to the Netherlands for $1,177$34.99
Louisville Slugger 2021 SL Solo BBCOR/USSSA Baseball Bat- (-3),(-5),(-8),(-10) – 26″,27″,28″,29″,30″,31″,32″,33″,34″
4.8 stars out of 5 for this product 114 $201.60$229.95 Ships to the Netherlands are available. More Purchasing Options $189.99 is the price (9 new offers)
Louisville Slugger 2022 Meta USSSA Youth Baseball Bat – (-10, -8, -5)
4.8 stars out of 5 for this product 6$349.95 Ships to the Netherlands are available.
Louisville Slugger 2022 Omaha (-10) USA Youth Baseball Bat
5.0 stars out of 5 for this product 3$99.95 Ships to the Netherlands are available.
Louisville Slugger 2020 Dynasty SPD (-10) 2 5/8″ USA Baseball Bat
4.8 stars out of 5 for this product Ships to the Netherlands for $170.92.36
Louisville Slugger 2022 Solo (-3) BBCOR Baseball Bat – 29″, 30″, 31″, 32″, 33″, 34″
Ships to the Netherlands for $299.95
Louisville Slugger 2022 Prime (-10) USA Youth Baseball Bat
$349.95 More Purchasing Options $346.34 (5 fresh offers have been made)
Louisville Slugger 2022 Solo (-11) USA Youth Baseball Bat
4.2 stars out of 5 for this product Ships to the Netherlands for $417.39
Louisville Slugger 2020 Vapor (-3) 2 5/8″ BBCOR Baseball Bat Series
4.7 stars out of 5 for this product 65
Louisville Slugger 2022 Meta (-3) BBCOR Baseball Bat – 31″, 32″, 33″, 34″
4.2 stars out of 5 for this product 7$499.95 Ships to the Netherlands are available.
Louisville Slugger 2022 Solo (-10) 2 3/4″ Junior Big Barrel USSSA Youth Baseball Bat
5.0 stars out of 5 for this product 2 Ships to the Netherlands for $99.99 More Purchasing Options Ninety-nine dollars and fifteen cents (5 new offers)
Louisville Slugger 2020 Dynasty PWR (-9) 2 5/8′ USA Baseball Bat
4.5 stars out of 5 for this product 191$65.66 Ships to the Netherlands are available.
Louisville Slugger Genuine Series 3 Maple C271 Baseball Bat
4.6 stars out of 5 for 432 reviews
Louisville Slugger 2020 Prime 2 3/4″ Senior League Baseball Bat Series (-10, -8)
4.4 stars out of 5 for this product 50 $215.97 Ships to the Netherlands are available. More Purchasing Options $149.95 (plus applicable taxes) (7 new offers)
Louisville Slugger 2020 Omaha (-5) 2 5/8″ Senior League Baseball Bat Series
4.7 stars out of 5 for this product 40$119.99$179.95+1 colors/patterns 40$119.99$179.95
Louisville Slugger 2020 Youth Flylite Baseball Bat Series
4.1 stars out of 5 for this product 146 Ships to the Netherlands for $34.99 More Purchasing Options $26.62 dollars (3 new offers)
Louisville Slugger Prime Bellinger – Maple Cb35 Wood Baseball Bat
4.6 stars out of 5 for this product 60 $159.99 Ships to the Netherlands are available. More Purchasing Options$159.95 (6 new offers)
Louisville Slugger 2022 Solo USSSA Youth Baseball Bat – (-10, -8, -5)
4.0 stars out of 5 for this product 1$249.95 Ships to the Netherlands are available.
Louisville Slugger Legacy Series 5 Ash C271 Baseball Bat
The rating is 4.0 out of 5. 1$249.95 Netherlands is a destination for shipments
Louisville Slugger Prime Acuna – Maple RA13 Wood Baseball Bat
4.0 stars out of 5 for this product. 1$249.95 Shipments to the Netherlands
Louisville Slugger 2022 Vapor (-9) USA Youth Baseball Bat
Ships to the Netherlands for $59.99 More Purchasing Options $59.95 (including shipping and handling) (3 new offers) +4 different colors/patterns
Louisville Slugger 2019 MLB Prime Wood Bat Series
4.5 stars out of 5 for this product 68$84.95 Ships to the Netherlands are available.
Louisville Slugger 2020 Select 2 5/8″ USA Baseball Bat Series (-10, -8, -5)
4.5 stars out of 5 for this product 43 $270.00$299.95 Ships to the Netherlands are available. More Purchasing Options $229.97 is the price of the item (4 new offers) Previous12345NextBrands that are associated with your query Sponsored
Please see our support section or contact us. Return to the filtering options menu.
Science of Baseball
With the Scientific Slugger, you can simulate a ball being hit properly by a major league baseball player in a realistic environment. To determine what factors contribute to a home run, experiment with different strengths of your swing and angles at which the ball departs the bat. You may even change the pitch speed to make more intricate combinations. Make little changes to one variable at a time and see what occurs.
What’s Going On
The distance traveled by a baseball is determined by two basic factors: the angle at which the ball leaves the bat and the speed with which the ball is struck. The speed of the ball is determined by the velocity of the pitch as well as the velocity of the bat. If the bat is motionless and the ball strikes it, the ball will bounce off the bat with the majority of the pitch speed, but not all of it, depending on the pitch speed. (Some of the energy is lost through friction as a result of deforming the ball, producing a sound, and so on.) A significant chunk of the bat’s speed is imparted to the ball when it is struck by the bat while the ball is still in midair.
Taken together, it is clear that a thrown ball striking a swinging bat acquires a significant fraction of the total sum of both pitch and bat speed.
What Goes Up, Must Come Down
There is a constant downward force on the ball caused by gravity. If you hit the ball straight up in the air, it will spend a significant amount of time in the air but will not fly very far from home plate. Alternatively, if you hit the ball horizontally, as in a line drive, the ball will go away from home plate at maximum velocity but will immediately strike the ground as a result of gravity, resulting in the ball remaining relatively close to home plate. It is necessary to have both a high horizontal velocity and to maintain the ball in the air for an extended period of time if you want to optimize your hitting distance.
A baseball would go nearly twice as far if there was no air resistance (i.e., if the ball did not have to travel through air on its way out of the park).
When playing at sea level, the Scientific Slugger is set for constant air resistance based on 0% humidity, 56 degrees Fahrenheit, and constant air resistance.